Meaning Of Loaf

       Taking the easy road through life

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Crash & Burn

I was going to quietly brush this story aside, but due to Jenny's request, and since tales of humiliation seem to be just as popular, if not more so, than those of my successes, I'll go ahead and write anyway.

To bring you all up to speed; last week saw a new temporary receptionist start at our office. Ok, make that a young, cute, temporary receptionist. Naturally I had to try my chances.

So, knowing that she was only here for a week and a half, there was no time to hang around, and was chatting to her within an hour of her settling in, and seemingly positive conversation at that!

We got round to the subject of company socials and I mentioned that we often have nights out with the guys from the office, and that we would be having a night out on Friday (or at least there would be once I'd organised it), and would she like to come? She would. Excellent.

Of course, this was all going too well, and so yesterday, when I started talking about when and where to meet up, she came up with the inevitable:

Receptionist: "Sounds great, although I'll be along a little later in the evening, as I've got to go and see my boyfriend's band performing."

Me: "Oh....That sounds good."


Hopefully I kept my composure and brushed it off as well as I imagined I did, and to be fair, this was a crash with not too much burn.

So, the search continues, and rest assured there will no doubt be many similar stories to come!

5 Comments:

  • The photo is fantastic! The story... sad.

    By Blogger 5 of 9er, at 9:20 pm  

  • Jenny, I'm intrigued by your definition of smooth, but still, I guess the direct approach couldn't harm to try!

    9er, thanks, although she's still quite keen to go out Friday, and may bring some of her friends with her, so may not be a total loss yet...

    By Blogger Loaf, at 10:18 pm  

  • That's a crash? Oh man, you lead a charmed life...

    By Blogger Kritkrat, at 3:32 pm  

  • That's direct...not smooth??? Hmmm, maybe you should teach me a few things!

    By Blogger Jenny!, at 5:18 pm  

  • Kadonk, I take your point, I guess I was let off pretty lightly! Guess it just seems worse when you've been without as long as I have!

    Jenny, don't be taking my advice! Clearly my methods are not working, so I will have to give your ways a go on Saturday night.

    By Blogger Loaf, at 8:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home