Meaning Of Loaf

       Taking the easy road through life

Thursday, September 21, 2006

M1NT

To be rich and famous. For now just a dream, but last night I did have a taste of what it could be like.

The re-opening of M1NT in it's new Mayfair location was certainly popular last night, squeezing as many people as they could into what I thought was a pretty small bar, but I couldn't fault the look and style of the place.

When we arrived, we were greeted with champagne which was regularly topped up for the first hour, and even though I'm not a great fan of champagne, I just can't turn down a free drink, and the young lady seemed so keen to keep me topped up.

Looking around the room, sadly, I didn't see any celebrity presence, or anyone I'd recognise for that matter, but I now know where all the rich and good looking people hang out, and I felt so out of place! An example of some of the conversations I overheard:

"...well I'm not sure what this is going to do for my property investments in Thailand..."

"...after that we'll spend a few months cruising the Mediterranean..."

Somehow I felt discussing how I'd re-decorated the living room for a very reasonable price would not capture their interest. Likewise with the women there; they were glamorous, classy and obviously lived the high life, and although I'd love to have a shot, I had the feeling it would take a small mortgage to entertain these women for one night, in the style to which they're accustomed.

Despite this, I sipped my drink with all the dignity I could muster, and smiled for the cameras, although I can just see them in the editing room this morning: "Who's that? He doesn't look rich or famous? Perhaps he's one of the cleaners". I was however, saved from a hangover this morning, partly by a vague memory of the last hangover, but mainly due to the bar prices once the free drinks had finished. £15 ($28) for a beer, a vodka and a glass of water? Don't expect me to be getting drunk there anytime soon.

Was it a good night out? Yes. Would I splash out on becoming a member? Probably not. I think if I'm choosing an exclusive club to become a member of in London, I'd probably look for somewhere a little more spacious and down to earth. For now, The Swan will do me just fine.

5 Comments:

  • I can't believe you were at the Mayfair last night! In my very short journalism career, I actually wrote an article about their lavish re-opening. It looked gorgeous in the pictures and our whole staff agreed we should be allowed to take a "business" vacation there - I'm so jealous.

    Too bad those fancy places are so ridiculously expensive.

    By Blogger Ridic!, at 2:12 pm  

  • Next time I hear of a new club opening I'll let you know and insist that you're sent over to cover the event!

    By Blogger Loaf, at 8:21 pm  

  • What ya wanna be doing in such fancy places?

    A friendly country pub and a pint of Pride. Now that's true style!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 pm  

  • Oh la la! You are quite the fancy pants! I would prefer The Swan as well, although that place looks A LOT nicer than most of the places I frequent. I can't call a bar my home unless I almost fall down because of puddles of beer on the floor.

    By Blogger classyandfancy, at 9:18 pm  

  • I was disappointed they didn't have Pride on tap at M1NT, I guess you can't have it all.

    Classy, I nominate you my offical pub tour guide when I visit the US!

    By Blogger Loaf, at 8:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home