Meaning Of Loaf

       Taking the easy road through life

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Last of the summer?

Yesterday saw what will probably be the final BBQ of the year, something which was both fun, and in some ways sad, as for me it now feels like the end of summer, which means time to start wearing a jacket to work, turning the lights on for the drive home, and digging out the thicker duvet.

Still, in all fairness, the BBQ was a good one; bringing together most of the people from the office at the house of one of the directors, where we had several platefulls of burnt offerings, potato salad and crisps. Sadly, I was still not drinking, as I felt I should let my liver recover a little more from the thorough workout it had a few days ago, so I was just on the root beer, but who needs alcohol when there's a bouncy castle! Ok, it was for the kids, but you're never too old for a bouncy castle, and once the small children were sufficiently tired out, we ruled the castle.

Another highlight of the BBQ was the attractive mousy blond girl who caught my eye. After a little asking around, I found she was actually the Austrian au-pair of the director, who was over here working for the year, and also that she was only 20. Now this presented a moral dilemma; she would be close to 12 years younger than me, which is, in my opinion, is a larger gap than I can reasonably get away with. On the other hand, it's been while.

Thankfully, I was saved from this moral dilemma by my old friend, social arkwardness. Put me in a room of people and I can keep up a pretty reasonable conversation, but make one of them an attractive female, and all topics of conversation decide they have somewhere more important to be. This left me with the following awkward moment:

Me: So, I hear you're from Austria, how are you enjoying England?

Attractive Austrian: It's ok.

... Awkward pause

Me: But looking forward to getting back home?

Attractive Austrian: Oh Yes.

... Longer awkward pause

Me: Ok, well I'd better check on those burgers...

The actual exchange was a little longer than this, but you get the idea, and I wouldn't want to make you cringe through the rest of it.

So, that's me single for a while longer, and in this instance, probably for a best. As I'm being pulled further into the 30-something camp, those young, attractive 20-something girls are slowly slipping beyond my reach.

But hey, I'm not going to feel bad, it's only 4 weeks until the trip to Florence, and perhaps there's some gorgeous Italian ladies over there just waiting for some dashing Englishman to come over and sweep them off their feet. I can dream.

Hope everyone has a good week, only 4 hours to Monday in the UK. Bracing for impact.

7 Comments:

  • A bouncy castle sounds like a slang term for a recreational drug. What is it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:14 am  

  • Close, but way off :)

    I have no idea what they would be called in the US, but here's what we call a bouncy castle: http://www.krazy-castles.co.uk/Adultcastles.html

    Expensive to buy, but pretty cheap to hire for the day. Is there a different name for them in the US?

    By Blogger Loaf, at 12:36 pm  

  • Nope - I knew exactly what you meant by bouncy castle! But that's probably because I'm one of those twenty-something girls who's still close enough to childhood I wouldn't even think twice before jumping around like an idiot with the little tykes.

    By Blogger Ridic!, at 10:30 pm  

  • Ahhhhhh the thicker duvet. I swear it's an English thing the thicker duvet. You really should put that hunt off for a while, because you can guarantee that as soon as it's on the bed we'll have an Indian summer and you'll be waking up moist at 2 in the morning. And as we all know moist is never a good thing in bed. It just makes you worry too much. Especially if you've managed to get that Austrian au pair home.

    By Blogger Crispin Heath, at 11:53 am  

  • Already regretting the thicker duvet, after another hot and humid one last night. Hot and sticky is no fun unless there's someone else in the bed.

    Still, where would the English be if we didn't have weather to complain about :)

    By Blogger Loaf, at 1:15 pm  

  • What would have made that BBQ an even better way to end the summer? If they had that humongo slide that you ride down on while sitting on potato sacks. After the ride, you can then proceed to eat all the fried potatoes you can handle. State Fairs here have that combo down.

    By Blogger classyandfancy, at 5:13 pm  

  • Great idea Classy! I'll definatly have to track down one of those and a few sacks for the first BBQ of next year!

    By Blogger Loaf, at 8:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home