Meaning Of Loaf

       Taking the easy road through life

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Farewell 2006 - Hello 2007

Ok, so it's a few days into 2007 already, but I'm still catching up, and will be writing 2006 on everything for at least the next month while I adjust. But now it's time to take a quick look back over 2006, and then a peek ahead for what 2007 might have in store.


2006

2006 was really a year of changes:

  • Started working at the new offices near Slough, which in some ways has been a good thing, in other ways not so great. Overall, it kind of balances out on that one.
  • Separated from the wife. This was a down point of the year, but it was for the best, and we're better friends than ever now.
  • Started blogging. After a few half hearted attempts, I finally launched myself into the world of blogging, and now would never look back. Defiantly a high point of the year.

There were also several memorable events of 2006:

  • The long weekend on the Isle of Wight. Got to know several people I didn't know before, drank an excessive amount of wine, and found ways to take conversation to new lows.
  • Florence, Italy. This was my one escape from the UK, and even though it was only 4 days, it was great. Can't wait to get back there again one day.
  • Weekends in St Albans park in the summer. There were several of these, and there's just nothing better than laying out in the sun, in a huge park, with bottles of wine and just relaxing.


2007

So what's in store for 2007? Well, I'm not going to make resolutions*, because that's just never going to happen, but I do have a few things I'd like to do this year:

  • Learn skiing or snowboarding. Not decided which I'd like best yet, so I might give both a try and see how I get on. Expect stories of bruises and breakages.
  • Sort out the house. Boring I know, but I've been in this house two years with promises of re-doing the kitchen and bathroom, as well as doing something with the garden. Will try and tick off at least one this year!
  • New Year 2007/08. Ok, you may think this is a little premature, but for the past few years we've always left our New Year plans to the last minute, and not really done all that much, so this year I'm being proactive. I've got a year to plan it, and already have some ideas in the pipeline. It's going to be big!

And then there's the definite events of 2007:

  • Chicago. Finally making my first trip to the US, meeting a whole load of awesome Chicago bloggers, and will be boozing it up for St Patricks Day!
  • Surprise European Destination. I've decided I want to get out of the UK at least once more this year besides the US, and will probably go for a long weekend somewhere in Europe. Destination is still to be decided, but will probably involve randomly spinning Google Earth and see where it stops.
  • The first summer BBQ. This is of course a definite, and again, this year I want to take it up a notch and do something bigger and better than ever before!

So, for now I just need motivate myself to get working again, and try to entertain myself through a typically quiet January as everyone trys to repair the damage to their bank accounts from Christmas. I have a feeling 2007 is going to be a good year.

Wishing you all a great 2007!

*Ok, I lied, I've made one resolution; to do more well written and throught out posts to the blog, instead of quick little throw away ones to fill a gap. Like this one.

7 Comments:

  • You forgot about the nanny ;) So looking forward to be part of the 2007 highlights!

    By Blogger classyandfancy, at 9:33 pm  

  • Have you just been lurking around and hitting refresh until I posted?! I hadn't even finished my proof read before you got your comment in!

    And rest assured, you will definatly be one of the highlights of 2007!

    By Blogger Loaf, at 9:36 pm  

  • I agree 2007 is going to be great. Looking forward to your visit to Chicago!

    By Blogger The [Cherry] Ride, at 9:51 pm  

  • Chicago on St. Pat's is one big acid trip. People are completely trashed by 9am. Looking forward to drinking with you!

    By Blogger 5 of 9er, at 10:56 pm  

  • All I can say about your trip to Chicago is: Start building your tolerance.

    By Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater, at 2:27 am  

  • Matt! I already have 3 holidays booked outside the UK for 2007. You can do it!

    I also recommend snowboarding for someone who has never been on the mountain before. It's much quicker to pick up but you will be on your arse for the first 2 or 3 times you go. As a bonus, it's a full body workout, pushing yourself off the mountain builds upper arm strength!:-)

    By Blogger ReckenRoll, at 5:47 pm  

  • Preperations are underway for Chicago, and Christmas was a good excuse to build up that drinking tolerance!

    Katie, I am becoming more tempted by the snowboarding (it looks cool!), so am going to try and book a few lessons at the ski slope Milton Keynes. My balance is not good, so I will be leaving several ass prints in the snow.

    By Blogger Loaf, at 9:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home