Meaning Of Loaf

       Taking the easy road through life

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Damn you winter colds!

Ok, I know it's that time of year that I should be expecting the occasional sniffle, it's pretty much unavoidable. But why do they always have the worst timing!!

The reason I'm so mad at my current cold, is not only the fact that after four days and three sleepless nights, I've still not been unable to shake it, but for that fact that at this very moment, I should be out on the town with people from work, drinking myself stupid and acting in ways that will provide awkward moments around the office for weeks to come. Yes, I'm missing the office Christmas party.

Now I know at this point, some of you are already getting ready to write "Sod the cold, get out there and get a drink down you!!", but before you do, there are some good reasons for sitting it out. Firstly, I do feel like hell. I mean I've had colds in the past, but this one is really going for it; I've got through four boxes of tissues, a bottle of echinacea, two packs of flu tablets and enough green tea to be sick of the stuff. It's just not working.

The second reason, is that Saturday is the unofficial office Christmas party. This is the one where all the people from the office who actually like each others company, go out together and attempt to get ourselves barred from another London bar. I reasoned that if I take it easy tonight, I'll hopefully be on top form by Saturday, which is the one I really don't want to miss.

So anyway, rant over. And now a question; what are your top tips for shifting the winter colds?

8 Comments:

  • I think Classy said you didn't know what Nyquil was, but you have to find the British counterpart. Anything that says it helps you sleep when you have a cold should do, but make sure there's lots of alcohol in it.

    By Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater, at 9:32 pm  

  • Sounds like good stuff, I'll have to have a search around for it here. I have been knocking back some sleeping tablets as well, but they don't do a thing for me. Tonight I'm trying the scotch!

    I'm a little cautious of tablets and alcohol after drinking too soon after some painkillers, which had the unusual side effect of making the walls melt, and preventing me using my phone because it had turned into a fish.

    By Blogger Loaf, at 9:40 pm  

  • I have no tried and true methods. I wish I did because I have been battling one heck of a cold for almost two weeks. But, it hasn't prevented me for partaking in the free booze at all the holiday shindigs going on. You are weak!

    By Blogger classyandfancy, at 3:21 pm  

  • Thanks Classy, knew I could rely on you for sympathy and posative reinforcement!

    But you're right, there really is no excuse for ducking out of the party last night, although I did find pleasure in watching everyone in the office this morning moving very gently and quietly.

    Tomorrow night, we're hitting the city and nothing is getting my way! Full report on the night out as soon as I can look at the screen without getting motion sickness.

    By Blogger Loaf, at 5:41 pm  

  • I am glad you are reserving your energy for tomorrow night's bash instead.

    Knocking back some Nyquil, then going to a XMas party is ALWAYS a good time. Perhaps next year...

    By Blogger The [Cherry] Ride, at 7:07 pm  

  • Lemsip Max, or Boots own Night Cold & Flu Relief Liquid, table spoons of honey, Vitamin B rich drinks such as Berocca (again from Boots!) and plenty of non dairy fluids!! Then just before you head out tomorrow night, have another Berocca, and a valium when you get home post drinking...you will be suprised...no hangover!!

    And clear soups always work a treat!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 pm  

  • i don't know what your symptoms on, but if you can't breath some vic's vapor rub is amazing at opening up the lungs. I concur on Nyquil - the key is sleeping through the night to recover. Hang in there!

    By Blogger darci ann, at 3:27 am  

  • I've heard that NightNurse is the stuff to take if you want to knock yourself out and wake up better in the morning...Haven't needed to use it myself but have heard good things.

    By Blogger ReckenRoll, at 3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home