Meaning Of Loaf

       Taking the easy road through life

Monday, October 30, 2006

Going under the needle

Finally, another big thing comes of the to-do list.

Up until now, I've never made any mention of my plan to get a tattoo, and only a couple of friends had heard brief mentions about the possibility, despite the fact it's been something I've wanted to do for the past couple of years. I'd not mentioned anything until I'd had it done, just in case I didn't go through with it, and given my fear of needles, it was not something I was going to rush into.

I'd actually been looking around a couple of tattoo parlors in London earlier this year, but just didn't like the look of most of them. One in particular, I was greeted by an huge guy with a fag hanging out of his mouth and no concept of the word shower, and the place reflected this. But after all that, I found there was a place in my home town, just half an hour walk from my house, which turned out to be friendly, clean and more than happy to help.

So, with the appointment booked for Saturday, I treated myself to a large breakfast, and headed on down.

When I arrived, there was a bit of a wait, since I was the first of the morning and some setting up needed to be done, and I have to say this was the hardest part, sitting there in silent panic. Finally, they were ready; brought me in and sat me down, and after a quick shave of my back (not that I have a particularly hairy back!), they were ready to start. By this point my heart rate was something around that of a hummingbird.

The sound of the machine starting was one of the worst I've heard; sounding like some kind of high powered dentist drill. Yet, when he started, I was actually pleasantly surprised! Now I wouldn't say it was painless, but nowhere near the pain I'd imaged it would be, in fact no worse than having an injection. Repeatedly. But after about 10 minutes, I'd become numb even to that, and was sat there chatting away happily while he continued.

The whole thing lasted about an hour and a half, after which I was wrapped in cling film to protect it for a couple of hours afterwards, and for me this was just the most amusing part; standing there being wrapped in cling film by a burly bloke with tattoos!

So now I just have to wait while it all heals; I would post a picture, but at the moment it's just looking a bit blurred and scabby, but I'll put something up as soon as it's healed and looking good. And thanks must go out to the wife, who offered to come over to help rinse and moisturise it for the first 24 hours, I really can't imagine any of the guys would have been up for that task. Now I need to practice various yoga poses to be able to reach round and moisturise it myself, as it's centred between the shoulder blades, and I'm not that flexible!

So would I have another one? Yes and no; I'd certainly have no issues with going through with it again, as it's definitely not as bad as expected, but at the same time, being covered in tattoos is just not me, so for now I think this one is plenty. Still, for anyone else out there thinking of getting one, I'd say as long as you're sure about what you want, go for it!

7 Comments:

  • Yes, but what did you get??
    Funny that I've found tattoos to be a bit "addicting." I've never considered myself a tattoo person, yet I now have 3! I think the worst part is the first 5 seconds as the needle goes in you fo the first time. After that, the adrenaline kicks in and it becomes ratehr painless.

    PS - I just finaly read your experiment post from last week. Very cool.

    By Blogger The [Cherry] Ride, at 5:07 pm  

  • Knew there'd be some small detail I'd forget! I've had an Ouroboros design, in black with shading.

    There's a Wikipedia entry for those wanting to look it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros, although mine doesn't look like any on that page. Hopefully it won't take too long to heal, and I will post a picture when it's ready.

    By Blogger Loaf, at 5:14 pm  

  • Curious as well now as to what tattoos you have Cherry?

    By Blogger Loaf, at 5:28 pm  

  • I was hoping it was a picture of the Austrian nanny!

    I've been debating getting a tattoo for quite some time (at least 6 years), but not sure if I will ever go through with it. I am not 100% positive that the image I've picked is one that I'm willing to have on me forever, especially when gravity takes its hold, not that I would put it on my boob or anything.

    By Blogger classyandfancy, at 6:17 pm  

  • Well, only best to go for it if you're sure it's something you can live with for life. I have no idea what mine will look like when I'm old and wrinkly, but I'm sure by that age, a saggy tattoo will be the least of my worries!

    By Blogger Loaf, at 9:26 am  

  • So does that mean you're in some kind of cult??

    By Blogger The [Cherry] Ride, at 6:52 pm  

  • Definatly not part of any wierd cults :)

    Don't drink the Kool-Aid!

    By Blogger Loaf, at 7:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home