Meaning Of Loaf

       Taking the easy road through life

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

How well connected are you?

Today, something a little different.

As things are a little quiet recently, I've decided now is the perfect time to start some social experiments, and see if I can get readers out there doing something. It's a power fix really.

Anyway, to the point; I've been thinking recently about how blogs link to each other through their blogrolls, and how we start forming groups, which then branch out to other groups, and started to wonder how far out of our circle of known blogs we often venture.


The Experiment

To test this idea, I decided to count down 3 places on my blog roll, follow the link, go 3 down on the next blog roll, and basically repeat this 3 times to see if I end up somewhere new, or somewhere I know. For me, this lead me through the following path:

1. The Cherry Ride - Ok, I know where I am, I read and comment here.

2. 5 of 9er - Getting a little further out now, I've been here a couple of times, but not commented yet.

3. Mini Smartypants - Somewhere new, never been here before, but looks like a good find!

(I skipped the Chicago Bloggers and Dusty Groove links on 5 of 9er as they were directories and online shops, so didn't really fit the experiment).

So, now I'd like to know of the other readers out there, if you do this starting from your own blogs, where do you end up? Do you reach somewhere new or somewhere you know within 3 jumps? And if not somewhere new, how many jumps does it take?

Happy clicking!

1 Comments:

  • As always, my experience was complicated since I chose first to go in alphabetical order (since my blogroll is broken out by location) and when I did that (my friend Benn in Australia), it came back to me.

    So instead I just went third down (after skipping Chicago Bloggers site) and got to my buddy Gancer, which then took me to Honeysmack in Australia, then to Katie Schwartz. So essentially, as soon as I jumped from Gancer's site I was in unknown territory.

    By Blogger The [Cherry] Ride, at 5:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home