Meaning Of Loaf

       Taking the easy road through life

Friday, June 01, 2007

Resuming normal service

So I've been away for a while.

I'd like to say I've been off travelling somewhere, or having wild adventures, but truth is, I've just been lazy. And I don't think I'm alone in this; it looks like every once in a while bloggers block strikes people and the thought of sitting down and writing a mildly intelligible post seems like just too much hard work.


Still, after an extended break, I've decided it's time to get back in the swing fo things, partly because I know some people are strict with their blogrolls and I don't want to start dropping off, and also because it's Saturday morning, I'm in the office, and nothing to do for the next few hours until the testers finish checking the work that's been uploaded. I keep telling them it's not necessary, my work is flawless, but they don't seem to believe me.


Anyway, onto a quick recap of the unusual events of last weekend...


A few of us had planned to head into London on Saturday night for a night out, consisting of the usual dinner, drinks and dance. Since a few of them were also watching the rugby the next day, they were also staying in London for the night, and tried to encourage me to, but I declined because it was "too expensive".


On the Saturday morning I decided to head down to the shops to grab some essentials, and would leave things like shaving and getting dressed up for later in the day, before went to London. As I stepped out of the front door, I simultaneously decided it was cold and needed a coat, realised I didn't have door keys, and heard the door click shut behind me. Naturally fate likes to kick me when I'm down, so it started to rain as well, and since the only person with a spare key was away until Sunday evening, I decided to hide in the nearby pub and plan my options.


In the end, I decided I wasn't going to let this interfere with my trip to London, even if I was looking a little less presentable at this point, and also decided I may as well stay out in London after all, since I wouldn't be getting back in the house until the next day anyhow. After a quick trip to Boots to pick up some overnight essentials, I headed on in to the city.


Once we'd arrived in London, I decided to go and "book into the first hotel I could find", at which point I was walking round Covent Garden, and found myself on The Strand. Therefore, the first hotel I could find, happened to be The Savoy, so on the impulse of a crazy idea and not wanting to go back on my word, walked up to the entrance.



By the look the doorman gave me, I could tell he was a little unsure about even letting me in, but after getting past him, I made my way up to the reception...


Me: "I'd like a single room for the night please"

Receptionist: "Certainly sir. Yes, we have one available; single room, plus vat......that comes to £230".

Me: "..................Yes. That sounds fine."

*crap*



Still, I wasn't going to turn back at that point, and as we both watched my credit card go through with equal anticipation of whether it would be rejected, I was booked in. The room did turn out to be pretty impressive, as I'd expect for that price, although at £5 for a bottle I decided to steer clear of the mini bar. The bed was fantastic, and had there been any way to sneak it out undetected, I would have.


The night out on the town was pretty standard; round the usual bars and knocking back a few vodkas in each, until we were ready to roll back to our respective hotels at the end of the night. It was a good night out none the less.


I was in for a bit of a shock the next morning when I found that the price of the room didn't include breakfast, at an extra £27, but at least I can now say I've eaten in The Savoy, and they really do have an impressive dining room! Still in the same clothes from the night before, and still unshaven at this point, I blended in perfectly.


By the time I arrived home late afternoon on Sunday, the neighbour with the spare key still hadn't returned, but the pouring rain gave me renewed inspiration to try and find a way in. While I won't go into the finer details for security reasons, I'll just say that the cat flap, a stick, and some persistence finally allowed me back into the house, as well as raising some security concerns about my house.


So after the adventures of last weekend, looks like this weekend is going to be a quiet one, which I'm sure my bank balance will be grateful of. And now that the blogging block is broken, hopefully more posts to follow soon!

7 Comments:

  • In advance, I am going to say this is not the comment you want to read. But also in advance, I am going to say it's your fault for not calling me. My comment is this:

    I have an extra room. You could have stayed in it.

    That is all.

    By Blogger ReckenRoll, at 10:20 pm  

  • Having an adventure every once in awhile it totally worth the price! I was stranded in Vegas a few years ago because of bad weather and instead of sleeping in the airport, I decided to go all out and got an awesome room at the Aladdin. Now the Aladdin is gone, but I will always have great memories of that trip! It was a blast!! You only live once.

    By Blogger Kritkrat, at 3:47 pm  

  • I think you should go traveling... so to the Europe place you are so close to. :)

    By Blogger 5 of 9er, at 4:56 pm  

  • OMG - I can't believe you stayed at the Savoy on a whim. Good for you!!! Congratulations!

    By Blogger The [Cherry] Ride, at 4:56 pm  

  • Katie, next time I'm staggering round London late at night, yours will be the first door I knock on :)

    9er, a European trip is hopefully going to be coming up soon, just haven't decided where yet!

    With Kadonk and Cherry on this one, you have to do something spontanious and unexpected once in a while!

    By Blogger Loaf, at 9:14 pm  

  • Fancy times, will you marry me?

    By Blogger classyandfancy, at 4:47 pm  

  • Classy, if only I wasn't already married, I'd say yes :)

    By Blogger Loaf, at 6:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home