Meaning Of Loaf

       Taking the easy road through life

Monday, March 05, 2007

Something Wicked This Way Comes

This weekend, I got myself reacquainted with an old friend; Theatre.

On the recommendation of several people and countless good reviews, I went to see Wicked at the Apollo in London, and what a show! I don't want to repeat too much of what Katie already written about show, and would agree with everything that has been said about it.



Currently the parts of Elphaba and Glinda are being played by Kerry Ellis and Helen Dallimore respectively, and as I didn't see Idina Menzels performance of Elphaba, I couldn't compare the them, but was suitably impressed with the singing, and although Kerry and Helen were both great actresses and singers, I'd have to side with Kerry after her impressive belting out of 'Defying Gravity' at the end of the first half.

Another treat was seeing Nigel Planer as The Wizard, who up until now I've always remembered as Neil from The Young Ones (early 80's British comedy that may have not made it internationally). Again, great acting, great singing.


If you get a chance to see it, I can't recommend it enough; it's a fantastic show, and if you've seen The Wizard of Oz (and really, who hasn't??), it's great to see how the storyline fits in so perfectly. You won't be disappointed!

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Get all the culture you can get in right now buddy. Your brain will be full of mush once you are over here for St. Patty's. We forbid you from talking about theatre, politics, the environment, and women's rights while you are over here ;)

    By Blogger classyandfancy, at 8:08 pm  

  • I saw Wicked in Chicago and love it a million times over... and I was not even excited to go.

    By Blogger 5 of 9er, at 10:33 pm  

  • Cheers Classy, I'm sure any culture will soon be subdued by the alcohol, and apart from theatre, I know nothing of the other things you mention!

    9er, know what you mean, I was a little aprehensive at first, but it really was a treat in the end!

    By Blogger Loaf, at 10:49 pm  

  • You will only be speaking of keg stands when you are in The States. BTW, that old dude's face looks like someone hit him in the face with a 12 inch softball.

    By Blogger Dr. Kenneth Noisewater, at 12:54 am  

  • Yeah, I was thinking about it this morning and I'm struggling to think of any show in Chicago I'd like to think. I know everyone says Wicked is good and I'd probably like it, but just can't bring myself to see it.

    By Blogger The [Cherry] Ride, at 5:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home